On Sunday, August 19, Apple removed Freedom from the App Store. Apple has changed their policy to not allow apps that block content, and we were affected. You can read a more in-depth discussion on our blog. This document outlines how we are resolving this issue, and will be updated as we get new information.
How to re-download Freedom
If you have previously downloaded Freedom, and need to install it on a new device, follow these instructions. Freedom has been removed from the store, but it remains available to everyone who previously downloaded, and works as normal. Freedom works on iOS 12.
App Store resolution status
We are currently preparing two submissions to Apple. The first is a fix to our current application, the second is a completely new app that has reduced functionality. We do expect to be back in store once Apple completes their reviews.
Update: Both apps have been submitted to Apple as of August 21, 2018.
Working with our customers
Other than this issue with the App Store, Freedom is working properly. If you have previously downloaded Freedom, you'll be able to use it on all your devices following the above instructions.
If you are a new customer looking for our iOS app, please accept our apologies. Apple's removal was unexpected and came on a weekend. We're working hard to update our website and help documents. We'll be offering our customers generous credit for their patience while we work to get this sorted out. And of course our desktop apps and website are working as normal and will be available for use.
We'll be updating this document on a daily basis as we work to solve this issue.
October 26, 2018
- After numerous delays and long review cycles, Apple has accepted our new app. This new app is limited to blocking websites on Safari. We will continue our appeals to Apple to reinstate our previous App.
September 10, 2018
- We continue to work on our app and expect a resubmission by the end of next week.
August 30, 2018
- Unfortunately, the review was quite lengthy. Apple rejected our new version and asked for considerable changes. We are in the process of making these changes.
August 23, 2018
- A new version of our app has gone into review. We expect that review to complete within two days.
August 22, 2018
- We have completed submission of new apps to Apple and now are waiting on their response. Our hope is that Apple processes our new apps on a timely basis. We will update this document next when we hear back from Apple.
August 21, 2018
- Submitted both apps to Apple for new review. We expect turnaround within a week given current App Store review times, so we hope to be back in the store by Friday.
- Reaching out to Apple for further clarification of our policy.
August 20, 2018
- We've created two submissions to Apple and are working to get them into review.
- Updating our website with proper disclosures about iOS availability.
- Attempting to get more information from Apple.
- Reaching out to our contacts to see if we can expedite.