- Blocks not working?
- Devices removing accessibility permissions
- Website blocking on Xiaomi MIUI 11+
Blocks not working?
If you're running a session but blocking doesn't seem to be working, here are a few things to try:
1. Make sure you have enabled permissions. To do this, go to the Settings section of the Freedom app, and scroll down to the "Permissions Granted" section. You should see an option for "Block Applications and Websites." Click "Allow," and you will be taken to a screen where you can turn permissions on for Freedom. Once these permissions are set, this setting should say "Enabled":
If tapping "Block applications and websites" takes you to the Accessibility screen but the Freedom permission doesn't appear there, look for a page called something like "Installed Services" or "Added Services." Freedom may be on this page instead.
2. Check any battery optimization settings on your phone to make sure optimization is turned off for the Freedom app. These settings can vary according to device, and some Android devices impose extra strict battery settings. This website is useful for finding ways to turn off battery optimization: https://dontkillmyapp.com. We most frequently see battery optimization issues with the following Android devices:
To check whether Freedom has sufficient battery usage permissions, you can tap Settings -> About Freedom -> System Details. On this screen, "Battery Optimization" should say "Best Performance."
3. Make sure you are using a supported browser. The list for Android can be found here: Android Supported Browsers. If you would like us to add a browser to this list, just let us know!
4. If you have tried all these steps but blocks still aren't working for apps specifically, make sure you have included "Block Apps" in your session settings:
Device is removing accessibility settings
If you have successfully enabled accessibility settings, only to find that they have to be enabled again shortly after, you may have a device that automatically turns off accessibility services. This is common in Xiaomi, Vivo, Letv, Oppo, Gionee, Karbonn, Coolpad and LeEco devices.
For instructions on how to prevent this, please see this site: http://truebalance.io/howto/how-to-accessibility/.
Website Blocking on Xiaomi MIUI 11+
If you're running into trouble getting Xiaomi devices to block websites, please do the following.
- Make sure you've enabled "Block App and Websites" permissions on Freedom Settings.
- Long-press on Freedom app, and select "App info"
- Tap "App permissions"
- Allow "Display pop-up windows while running in the background"
Still having trouble?
If you're having any difficulty, please feel free to send us an email at email@example.com or chat with us via the chat bubble in the bottom right corner of the page. We're happy to help!